28.12.06

Salieri's Speech (Amadeus)

Astounding! It was actually beyond belief. These were first and only drafts of music
yet they showed no corrections of any kind.Not one. Do you realize what that meant? He'd simply put down music already finished in his head. Page after page of it, as if he was just taking dictation. And music finished as no music is ever finished. Displace one note and there would be diminishment. Displace one phrase, and the structure would fall. It was clear to me. That sound I had heard in the Archbishop's palace had been no accident. Here again was the very voice of God! I was staring through the cage of those meticulous ink-strokes at an absolute, inimitable beauty.

From now on, we are enemies, you and I.
Because you will not enter me, with all my need for you;
because you scorn my attempts at virtue;
because you choose for our instrument
a boastful, lustful, smutty infantile boy
and give me for reward only the ability to recognize the Incarnation;
because you are unjust, unfair, unkind, I will block you!
I swear it!
I will hinder and harm your creature on earth
as far as I am able.
I will ruin your Incarnation!

Amadeus (1984), Milos Forman.